Kaslo is a charming village located in the West Kootenay region of British Columbia, Canada. Nestled on the shores of Kootenay Lake and surrounded by picturesque mountains, Kaslo offers a blend of natural beauty, outdoor activities, and cultural attractions. Here’s what you can explore when visiting Kaslo:
1. Kootenay Lake: Kaslo is situated on the eastern shore of Kootenay Lake, providing opportunities for water-based activities. Enjoy swimming, fishing, kayaking, or paddleboarding on the lake’s crystal-clear waters. You can also take a scenic boat tour to admire the surrounding landscapes.
2. Historic Downtown: Take a stroll through the historic downtown area of Kaslo, which is lined with well-preserved heritage buildings from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Explore local shops, art galleries, and cafes housed in these historic structures.
3. SS Moyie National Historic Site: Visit the SS Moyie, the oldest intact sternwheeler in the world that is now a national historic site. Take a guided tour of this beautifully restored paddlewheel ship and learn about its role in transporting people and goods across Kootenay Lake in the early 1900s.
4. Kaslo Jazz Etc. Summer Music Festival: If you visit in August, don’t miss the Kaslo Jazz Etc. Summer Music Festival. This annual event attracts renowned jazz, blues, and world music artists from around the world, offering a lively and vibrant atmosphere.
5. Outdoor Recreation: Kaslo is surrounded by breathtaking natural landscapes, making it an ideal destination for outdoor enthusiasts. Explore nearby hiking trails, such as the Kaslo River Trail or the nearby Kokanee Glacier Provincial Park. In the winter, enjoy cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, or ice fishing.
6. Langham Cultural Centre: The Langham Cultural Centre is a historic building that hosts art exhibitions, workshops, and cultural events. Explore the galleries, attend a live performance, or participate in one of the creative workshops offered.
7. Kaslo Hotel Museum: Step back in time at the Kaslo Hotel Museum, located in a historic hotel building. Learn about the town’s history, mining heritage, and local stories through exhibits and artifacts.
8. Hot Springs: For a relaxing experience, head to the nearby Ainsworth Hot Springs. Soak in the natural hot mineral waters, which are known for their healing properties, and enjoy the scenic views of Kootenay Lake.
Kaslo offers a tranquil and scenic escape, allowing visitors to immerse themselves in the beauty of British Columbia’s West Kootenay region. Whether you’re interested in history, outdoor activities, or simply enjoying the laid-back atmosphere, Kaslo has something for everyone.